Friday, July 11, 2014

Quick Tutorial for Miriam's Craft Supplies

Hi!
So happy to be here and share a quick little project for Miriam's Craft Supplies where you can find some great products at great prices for your projects.






So I started with the supplies you see pictured.  I had no idea really where I wanted to go with this except I knew, paper would be torn! For this project, I used a 4x4 canvas board, you can pick them up at just about any craft store in a package of four or five.  I'm a huge Prima paper fan so I chose the Cartographer line for this canvas.  I used liquid acrylic craft paints which you can often find on sale at most craft stores.  The little copper colored stud was actually found in the upholstery section at Joann Fabric.  The beautiful silver flower is from Miriam's Craft Supplies.




Using the gold paint, I painted the wood butterfly and the canvas.  Next, I put down a wash of white paint all over the butterfly and the canvas.  There is'nt a right or a wrong way to lay down your paint, just put on and begin having fun.  I did'nt gesso the canvas as it came pre-primed.


Here, you can see I went a little heavy with my white paint using a pouncing motion with the brush.  Again, it's okay to paint or not paint to your desire.




Begin tearing your Prima papers to your liking, adhere with gel medium.  Make sure to press firmly in order to get rid of any air bubbles.  Repeat the process using as much or less papers as you like.  Do the same tearing paper/glueing down  technique with your wood piece, however, choose a coordinating paper for some interest.




Using a good glue, here I used E600, glue your wood piece to your canvas.  Press firmly and give it a bit of time to dry.    This time, give it a gold wash of acrylic paint all over the whole project piece.  This tones down some of the white and accents the papers used in your background.

Attach the copper stud through the center of the metal flower, be careful because the stud is sharp.  I tried pushing real hard but my fingers were'nt strong enough. No problem, give that baby a few taps with a hammer or mallet and she went through the wood shape and the canvas!


Here you can see I finished off the project with a white wash of white acrylic paint, highlighted the metal piece with a few brushes of the gold paint and then finished off the whole canvas with a spray of glimmer mist.   There you have it, a cute little piece of mixed media artwork created at minimal cost!

I hope you've enjoyed this project and please head over to Miriam's Craft supplies and give her store some love.

Supplies:

http://miriamscraftingblog.com/

metal flower-from Miriam's store!
copper stud or metal stud for your center(hey! a brad might work too!)
4x4 canvas board
acrylic paint in at least two colors, I used white and gold
pattern papers, at least two different prints
gel medium
strong adhesive such as E6000
paintbrush
glimmer spray or color spray, I used Tattered Angels Old Lace and Irridescent Gold


No comments:

Post a Comment